Woodridge Park. Photo submitted
Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Commission Openings

Two openings for adult commissioners and one for a youth commissioner

Cottage Grove, Minnesota – The City of Cottage Grove Parks and Recreation Commission is accepting applications for two open commissioner seats and one youth commissioner seat. The commission is involved in the decision-making process for the entire parks and recreation system in Cottage Grove. Eight meetings occur throughout the year (two months on, one month off) at 7 p.m. on the second Monday of the month at City Hall. The meetings last between one and two hours.

The City of Cottage Grove Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Commission is a voice and representative board for the community’s expansive park and recreation system, which includes over 1,500 acres of parkland, recreation programs for all ages and fantastic recreational facilities, such as the ice arena, golf course, splash pad and much more. The current openings are available due to term limits.

As part of this commission, appointees discuss park operations, park master plans, recreation programs, playground designs, ice arena activities, and more. Serving on the commission is a great way to get involved with the community, add to a resume, gain work experience, and learn how city government works. This is particularly useful for the youth commissioners, who learn about investing in the community at a young age while also enhancing college applications and job resumes. The input from these youth is very valuable in assuring Cottage Grove parks continue to be designed with youth needs and trends in mind.

Applications for all city commissions are accepted throughout the year. However, the new term for this commission begins on March 1. As such, the city is taking applications until January 31, 2023, so that interviewing and onboarding can happen before the term start date. Interested residents may submit an application to the city clerk’s office, Cottage Grove City Hall, 12800 Ravine Parkway, or by emailing the application to the city clerk. Learn more and find the application here: https://www. cottagegrovemn.gov/295/ Boards-Commissions.

January 18, 2023