When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or heat one room. Nearly half of all space heater fires involve electric space heaters. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to follow these tips and recommendations.
Electric Heater Safety Tips
• Purchase a heater with the seal of an independent testing laboratory
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from anything that can burn, including people.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
• Keep children away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
–from the St. Paul Park Winter 2022-23 newsletter